Cathedral News



Cathedral featured in music video of "Say a Prayer."  Click here to view.   

Vatican Observatory highlights Msgr. Bouchet's telescope housed in the Archdiocese of Louisville History Center. Click here to check it out!!!!

Tek4Kids, Inc. (Gary and Cathy Boice’s nonprofit) uses education and technology to break the poverty cycle in Haiti.  They provide existing schools in Haiti with clean water, electricity, computers and teachers.  Children share clean water with their families, reducing instances of cholera and waterborne illnesses. Students that receive computer skills from the Tek4Kids program will be able to find much more advanced jobs despite the high unemployment rate in the area. To learn more about Tek4Kids, visit

  Become a friend of the Cathedral on Facebook.

    Follow us on twitter  @cathedral1852


Click the Feedback on the top blue bar to comment on our web site.


Friday, October 17, 2014
Day #6

Early to bed early to rise! In bed last night by 7:30 PM and up the morning at 3:30 AM although I did not crawl out of bed until six. No one else ventured out of their rooms until 7:30 AM. Nancy was kind enough to fix breakfast for the three of us. The off to the high school to check out a few things. The streets are pretty deserted as this is a national holiday.

Well the internet speed at the high school sucks as bad as it does the house. We have speculated that the billing is all messed up and that they have cut our speed because of delinquent payment of the bills. No way to know until Monday.

Rest of day pretty light. Augustine is coming for dinner. It's always a pleasure to see him.

Augustine had big exciting news. His twin brother and his wife just had a baby boy making his parents grandparents for the first time and Augustine an uncle. He has heard the baby crying via Skypeing with his parents but has not seen his nephew yet. They named the baby Ephraim.

Thursday, October 16, 2014
Day #5

The days are not getting any cooler! Up at 5:00 AM. Had coffee and conversation with Nancy before she left for Mass. Continued configuring a laptop for John Davidson Redon. Joe and John joined me around 6:30 AM. They are returning to Port Au Prince this morning. Jude is picking them up around 7:00 AM for the long drive over the mountains.

Joe, John, and Curtis have departed. Gary is headed for the high school to prep the guys for a day at the orphanage outside the city. Nancy and I are headed that way too, me to check on the network and she to meet up with John Davidson in order to show him around. The network needed a little coaxing, actually a reboot, to get WiFi working but all is well now. John is going to observe today and officially start work Monday. School is out tomorrow for some holiday having to do with some battle.

Dave is inserting this ... October 17 - Celebrates the death of Jean-Jacques Dessalines.
From WikiPedia - Jean-Jacques Dessalines (Haitian Creole: Janjak Desalin) (20 September 1758 – 17 October 1806) was a leader of the Haitian Revolution and the first ruler of an independent Haiti under the 1801 constitution. Initially regarded as governor-general, Dessalines later named himself Emperor Jacques I of Haiti (1804–1806). He is regarded as a founding father of Haiti.

Back at the house finishing work on Pere Ernest's camera. Seems like something is always coming up preventing me from getting it configured and installed. Gary is back, tired and hungry. Nancy is off to school. The rest of the day consisted of me fighting a VERY slow Internet connection. Not sure what is going on.

Another wonderful meal. Gary and I are going for a walk trying to get our 10,000 steps in today. Don't think we are going to make it. Back at the house I am writing this entry for the blog and Gary off to bed. Just another exciting day in Haiti!

Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Day #3

Today started off with me sleeping almost eleven hours. Did not hear the alarm at 5:00 AM nor Nancy leaving for church at 5:50 AM. I stayed behind today to configure a router for Nancy as well as configuring a camera for Pere Ernest to use at the radio station. Exciting stuff.

Gary came back to the compound for lunch, left again, then returned several hours later to crash on the couch. Electricity was at a premium so he end up sleeping on the couch with a fan in his lap. More exciting stuff.Gary Sleeping

Mia once again prepared an excellent dinner for us and now everyone is content to just sit around talking waiting for a decent hour to go to bed. 6:40 PM seems just a bit too early.

Maybe tomorrow will be more exciting!

Wednesday, October 15, 2014
Day #4
81º Light Rain

Another day in paradise, that is if you enjoy heat and humidity! Up by 6:00 AM. Joe is up before the rest of us as is Nancy who goes to the 6:00 AM Mass every morning. The todo list is fuzzy today. Our schedules change constantly. Gary and I are going over to the high school, him to give the guys their marching orders for the day working at the elementary school across the street from St. Louis, and me to check on the battery room laptop and the network. Seems the laptop is hibernating due to the lack of electricity for extended periods of time. I wake it up from its slumber, perform some updates, and all is well until the electricity is discontinued again. When it hibernates it requires human intervention to bring it back to life.

Back at the compound, Gary and Nancy have three interviews this morning for a teacher. Success!  A promising young man, John Davidson Redon will be joining the team.  Now I need to get a laptop ready for John Davidson Redon by tomorrow along with finishing up the work on Pere Ernest's camera.

Gary just came back from a two hour visit to the bank to cash a check. To say the least he was not happy and tired to boot. He was going to lay down until Pere Luxo arrives for a meeting on the iPad initiative around 3:00 PM.

Another fabulous meal compliments of Mia. Joe, John, and Curtis have not come back yet so we ate without them. Gary is already talking about going to bed even though it is only 6:00 PM. So ends another day.

Monday, October 13, 2014
Day #2

Well day two not so exciting. Sleeping in the Miami airport is like sleeping in a cold storage locker. For those who know me I like it cold when I sleep, especially during the winter months. My heat is normally turned down to 60 degrees during the cold months. But MIA must be less than that temperature wise. You do have to remember that it it's really, really early Monday morning with nary a soul in the airport so there is no heat being generated by thousands of bodies. Believe me it was too cold for sleeping. I wear a Jawbone fitness band and it reported at 6:00 AM that I had had a grand total of two, yes two minutes of sleep.

No trouble catching our flight to Port Au Prince. Tell Father Bill that my faith in American Airlines has been restored! Because of our difficulties getting to Charlotte and then switching from United Airlines to AA, which we were not scheduled to do, we were concerned that our luggage might not get on our flight to PAP. The AA agent at the desk in Charlotte was unable to help us. Seems we would not know until the luggage is actually scanned in. When we got to Miami and got settled in to our, not, sleeping arrangement, I got a call from Terry, the AA agent in Charlotte. He had gone out of his way to check on the luggage and to assure us it had been scanned into the flight to Miami. What a guy!

Got to PAP with no problem. All of the luggage arrived with us. Met up with our driver and Joe, our friend from Canada. There are four of us flying on a small plane to Jeremie so the luggage and several items that Joe purchased for Gary are going by truck along with Joe's son Curtis. Seems he does not like to fly on small planes either, just like Cathy, Gary's wife.

Got to Jeremie just fine. First time for Joe and John on a small plane. They seemed to enjoy it. Gary and I are dead tired so while every one else went off to do things, we tried napping. No success there either. So the rest of the afternoon was spent waiting on Curtis and Jude to arrive with our luggage. Mia showed up and dinner is being prepared. During dinner Curtis and Jude show up. They got here under seven hours. Seems the new road is further along than when Gary and I made the trip.

It is now 7:30 PM and Gary has already retired and I am in his footsteps. This entry is finished as am I.